Moses Matovu with the Afrigo Band’s First Tour in London
By Roperfree
I grew up listening to Moses Matovu with the Afrigo Band. Mr. Matovu was a very calm, disciplined, and respectful man with great integrity.
I had my first encounter with Afrigo Band in London in the early 1990s. This came about because Mr. and Mrs. Othieno were among the sponsors of Afrigo Band. Mrs. Othieno, Gertrude Kamya, who is a good friend of my sister Millie, called me to see whether I could be of assistance to Afrigo Band with their accommodation during their tour of London. She also asked me to provide them with snacks during breaks in their performances
.I found accommodation for the band on Romford Road in Forest Gate, East London, and I was among the people who welcomed Afrigo Band when they arrived.
This was the first time Afrigo Band had performed in the UK, and their concert in London, at Stratford, was massive! The hall was packed to full capacity, with revellers filling every available space. The police had to intervene because of the overwhelming crowd, but eventually, they gave us the go-ahead to continue.
I had the great opportunity to work with Mr. Matovu and Afrigo Band at large. Mr. Matovu was a very talented and experienced musician who could sing, play the guitar and saxophone, and dance exceptionally well. He was a true gentleman—down-to-earth, humble, calm, and respectful.
Mr. Matovu will be greatly missed, but his music will continue to live on and touch the hearts of many people in Uganda and throughout the diaspora.
Afrigo Band will never be the same. The captain's candle has stopped burning, but the light he left behind through his music and legacy will continue to shine.
Roperfree honors Moses Matovu for his outstanding contribution to music industry in Uganda. He deserves to be remembered in history and celebrated for generations to come.


Comments
Post a Comment